Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A New Year; A Fresh Outlook

I have totally transformed my thinking about homeschooling this year.  And can I tell you, that I have had such a peace about it!!

Last year I focused so much on academics. Actually, I focused all on academics.  I felt like I missed it.  I missed their hearts, I missed focusing them on the Jesus as Lord of their lives.  And wow, did the year show that!

Granted, the last few school days have been a little hairy.  Things have been a little wild, but really are there not times in the normal school schedule that aren't a little hairy at times?  Before Sammy left for work he noticed that he had bus drills today (have I mentioned that my husband teaches in the public school AND we home school, gasp!!).  So it is not like us homeschooling Moms are the only ones who experience periods of wildness in our day.   So the last few days have been just that for us.   I have one child who can just fly through anything and another one who struggles when anything is out of the ordinary.  I try so hard to keep everything in control, but alas... as you know...we homeschooling mom's are in control of very little!  (Praise God!!)

Ok, to our school year thus far.  It has been great.  Of course, as every momma would, I worry about my precious kiddos being on target with everything.  I know they lag behind what the dumb Common Core Standards imply where they should be.  But that is ok.  Right?  Tell me that is ok.  I am focusing on so much more through out our day than just the blasted standards.  Have I mentioned that I have to work hard to keep the baby from sabotaging our schooling efforts? 

Our days have gone awesome.  Maybe it is just the first of the year and I feel totally refreshed without my husband spending hours at school or grading or doing whatever school teachers do (you know after having their whole summer off.  Oh how many times have I heard this and cringed mid January when I want to cry because we never see our beloved fearless leader of our home!)  More so than memorizing multiplication facts and all sorts of math facts, my children are filling their precious minds with the lovely truths that come from above...Scripture!  Yes yes, no worries...we are memorizing those math facts....they are agonizing.  But I love hearing my kiddos spew off Stricture!

At the end of last year, I really thought homeschooling wasn't for us.  (I have a post being written for you about it later...)  I KNEW it was what God called our family to do but I just don't love it.  I'm sorry, I don't.  And God had called me out on this too, no worries.  I know I need to home school joyfully...but it is hard! I know I need to bring honor and glory to the Lord in ALL I do, and this means homeschooling.  I have been working very hard to transform my thinking this year to home school with a joyful heart and to do it in a way that would honor the Lord.  I truly believe that this is why our days have been going much better.  I am so thankful that God's mercies are new every morning!

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments: