Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mom, Teacher, Referee?

We have been busy!  My concerns about my children not getting enough socialization because of homeschooling have been totally unfounded.  We have been having multiple play dates a week with lots of friends.  I have had the privilege to watch my children grow in their relationships with each other as they are constantly working through struggles and rejoicing together as they master a difficult task. 

It is incredibly moving.  It is also quite the growing experience for all of us.  Growth isn't a walk in the park.  It is a painful process of being stretched and refined.  I often think of the pain my oldest would experience growing pain in his legs in the middle of the night.  He would wake up crying and in obvious discomfort.  It was difficult for a Momma to sit back and watch him 'grow' but a necessary process in getting older.

I would argue that a majority of my time homeschooling has not been spent on lesson plans.  It has been spent on fostering a loving caring relationship between my children, or, ahem, referring battles.  That has been the more challenging than any other aspect of homeschooling.  It is more exhausting than worrying about phonics and sums.  In the grand scheme of life, it is far more important than phonics and math.

Some days there is more referring than teaching, and those days are when the growing pains are felt the most.  They make the clearing in the field or the light at the end of the tunnel all the more enjoyable!

No comments: