Monday, September 12, 2011

I really do look forward to Monday's when I can sit down with the kiddos and open the lesson book again.  Isaiah's reading is just growing by leaps and bounds.  His confidence is exploding.  I can see him processing the one and two vowel rules as he goes through a sentence.  Right now we are working on his confidence with distinguishing between the long and short vowel sounds.  He no longer needs me sitting right next to him, and he is no longer painfully sounding out every single word in every sentence.  He is developing a rhythm in his reading and it just makes my heart want to burst!  He has reading homework every night that he is supposed to do with someone other than me.  On Friday he read with my Mum, tonight he will read with Daddy!  His math skillzzzzz are sick, in a very good way! ;) 

Turner will have his first assessment today or tomorrow.  He struggles.  I feel his struggle.  I have to keep reminding myself that he is just in Kindergarten, that it isn't such a big deal.  I pulled out another work book for him to work on while Isaiah is working on his reading lesson to re-enforce what he is learning during his lessons.  A Beka would like me to 'grade' him, and I'm just not ok with that.  He is still feeling this homeschooling thing out.  He honestly just doesn't care about academics.  I went to scan some reproducible worksheets from a book I have, and my scanner died :(  We are working on the vowels and number recognition. 

Right now I have jelly canning jars lined up in my kitchen with beans in them to see (or I guess, "PROVE" since we know what they need to grow!) which one contains the perfect environment to grow in.  The kids are loving science. 

No comments: