Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A week in review, kind of.

Where in the world did a week go?!?!

I must admit that I'm starting to feel more scatter brained these days.  Forgetting things that I said we were going to do that day.  Worrying about getting the kids outside to play enough.  I am trying to not forget things, but schooling and housework fill my brain and things just fall out.  As the boys say, "It just can't help it."  That is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Sam is back to work and crazy busy.  I miss having him home more, I miss his companionship even more.  It is Wednesday morning and I'm craving the weekend with him.  I am so blessed that God chose me to be his helpmeet, even though I feel like a very unfavorable choice!

What is going well?  Bible time in the morning.  I love it.  We have been focusing on creation which has been awesome!  We are also working on memory verses during that time.  I like that we can play worship music during our lessons (don't fret, I turn it off if I think it is distracting the kiddos or if they request it off!)...I love that God is the center of our day.  I like that I could have Monday and Tuesday of this week as review days for Turner.  I feel like he needed the time to really cement in the material he has learned thus far.  I love that when Isaiah said today at the end of Phonics, "Can I write a story?" we could!  His first story!!  It was a simple three sentence story, but he did it all by himself.  I chose to walk away from the dining room table and let him figure out the spelling of some of the more difficult words himself.  He did a wonderful job! Then, we took the story over to Daddy at work!  I love how randomly throughout the day Turner will go through the vowel sounds to review them!  I love the flexibility and that Isaiah said to me this week, "Mom, can I really go to the bathroom whenever I want without asking?"  And at breakfast yesterday morning he asked if we could take a day off and go visit Aunt Tara because we haven't seen her or Uncle Scott in over a month :(  I enjoy reading to/with the kids in the afternoons, we are almost done with Mr. Popper's Penguins!

What isn't going so well...  I'm a hard nosed work driven teacher, drill sergeant anyone?  I need to back off a bit and give more breaks, allow for more playtime.  When I get in the teaching mode, there is no stopping me.  I need to lighten up a bit.  This is a tough one, I'm seeing a lot, I mean A LOT, of my negative qualities in my children's behaviors as we spend more time together.  It is a negative because it is hard for ME.  Because God is revealing impurities in my heart.  But necessary.  I feel like they don't get out of the house enough.  Every decent day we walk to the playground, but I still feel like it isn't enough.  We only had football once last week and once this week, so I feel like they are craving more play time with others.  Maybe it is just me putting that feeling on them? Who knows!  Our weekends are filled with family and cousins to play with, so I hope it is just me that is worried.  Incorporating more art into our day.  It IS messy, and my house is already messy.  I'm sure this will get better as winter carries on and our time outside is less and less. 

I want to make sure I'm embracing our day and keep it God-focused, God-centered.  It can be tough when I have my agenda that I think needs to be fulfilled!  I want to foster more friendship between my children and to yell less.  Yes, believe it or not, I yell.  Sometimes I even get frustrated.  I know, you are surprised!  I still love homeschooling.  I wouldn't trade these 'not so well's' for sending my kids to school any day.  I'm surprised at the changes in my heart.  And I praise God for that.  I am so thankful that through teaching my own children God is changing my heart.

Did I mention Isaiah wants to learn cursive?  I shouldn't have mailed the cursive book back to A Beka this summer! 

No comments: