Monday, May 14, 2012

Extradionarily Ordinary

I sat looking at the sky last night from the official navigator's seat of the van (aka passenger seat) heading home after the day spent at my parents house.  It was stunning.  Streams of thin clouds floating effortlessly on the horizon as the setting sun sprayed beautiful pastels.  I smile. Sigh. 3/4 of my kids already sound asleep in their car seats.  Heads tilted back, mouths slightly ajar.  I wonder what they are dreaming of?  Are the dreaming of the afternoon spent barreling down hill in the wagon?  Or maybe the ice cream sundae's we made?  Perhaps of the hot dogs that we cooked on the open fire?

Before getting out of bed on Mother's Day, I praise the Lord that I was even able to celebrate it at all.  And then I decided that I would serve my children.  For the last 7 years Mother's Day has been somewhat miserable as no one could live up to the expectations of how I felt I should be treated...the red carpet, constant doting on me, no dishes, no food prep...and while we are at it, why don't I stay in bed the whole day?  And a tiara, I want a tiara.

Galatians 5:13 
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

It was miserable.  I was demanding.  So this year I decided that I was going to serve my kiddos, joyfully!  I woke up and was so excited to get out of bed to make muffins for us before we headed to church.  My dear husband came quickly out to the kitchen to see what was up, fearful that he had failed yet again on another Mother's Day.  I smiled at him and I could see the relief streak across his face.  I was good, had the kitchen under control!  My Mum and I had decided to just eat dinner at her house after church rather than going out to eat.  The day was beautiful.  We watched as my Dad and Sam worked on building a covered section of their back deck.  We watched the kids play.  We worked on flower beds.  Cooked hot dogs and marshmallows on the fire.


Colossians 3:23-24
 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.



The drive back from my parents house left me bursting at the at the seams.  Joy was overflowing from my heart.  The day was delightful in every way.  I found such joy in just being with my family rather than expectations that were difficult to fill.

God is so good.

No comments: