Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Special Gem

Sometimes I feel a little crazy...ok a lot of the time I feel crazy.  And there are times when I'm out in public and the things that people say to someone with four kids in tow can lead one to believe they belong in the circus.  Even when I think I'm rocking the trip people will still say come up with the craziest comments!

Yes, my hands are full but I'd rather them be full than empty.

I've been working hard to count my blessings.  Yes, that doesn't sound very thankful, I know.  Sometimes the laundry piles are too much to bare.  The constant need to kick meals out of my kitchen is overwhelming.  The lessons to be taught seem daunting.  The hurricane that seems to blow through my house multiple times a day.

I am well aware that my hands are full.

I am also well aware that these days seem to fly by, even faster than the meals that I make are eaten.

I sat with a long time friend chatting this weekend about life and how God is moving.  When we met she had 2 children while I had none.  And then, now, we sat while 6 were outside playing together and one snuggled in my lap.  We marveled at how much life had changed in the last 10 years.  We rejoiced as we looked at what God has brought us through.  It was encouraging as we talked about what God is doing in our lives TODAY.  I left feeling SO encouraged and a lot less crazy.

Having a friend to rejoice and cry with and a friend to hold you accountable is so important.  Someone to really drive you deeper in your relationship with Christ.  Friendships keep the focus off of us and if they are Christ-centered, will keep our focus on God.  That is the key to wonderful friendships!  Of course, I'd love a friend to fluff me up.  Tell me I'm Queen of the mountain.  A friend to boast about how awesome I am.  Yes, that would be lovely...but is that what I need?  No, I do that quite wonderfully myself.  My sinful nature tells me to take care of ME and forget everyone else, I don't need any help in that area.  I do, however, need all the help I can get to keep my focus on the Heavenly Father.  I need someone to help me keep my eyes and concern off myself and keep looking at Jesus.  When my focus is on the Lord is when I find that I can pour my concern and love out on others, through Christ.

Yes, friends are a special gem.  A special gem requires special care.  Oh how precious they are!  They take the sting out of crazy and keep me focused on what matters on this side of Heaven!

No comments: